Calgary has a huge number of outdoor rinks most of which are run by volunteers and all of which are free to use. Some of these rinks are strictly for pleasure skating (no pucks or sticks) others are full on hockey rinks.
City of Calgary Outdoor Rinks
The city of Calgary also maintains 7 outdoor rinks – 3 regular pleasure skating rinks, 3 pond/lagoon skating rinks and one with a refrigerated ice surface as well as a pilot project ice trail. Hockey sticks are not permitted on the city run outdoor rinks. These rinks are also free of charge. You can check on their website to see if they are currently open or closed. Rinks typically begin opening mid-late December.
Regular Outdoor Skating Rinks
- Big Marlborough Park (Large rink by the dry pond) – 6033 Madigan Dr NE
- Prairie Winds Park – (two rinks) – 223 Castleridge Blvd. N.E.
– North rink, pleasure skating only
– South rink (in tennis court), shinny hockey and pleasure skating
- Thomson Family Park – 1236 16 Ave. S.W.
Pond/Lagoon Skating Rinks
- Carburn Park (pond rink) – 67 Riverview Dr. SE ) – music, a fire for keeping fingers and toes warm and lights after dark.
- Bowness Park (Lagoon rink) – 8900 48 Ave. N.W. – skate rentals, skate sharpening and stabilization bar rentals are available at the Park Side Cafe.
- Prince’s Island Park (Lagoon rink) – 4 St. and 1 Ave. S.W.
- Glenmore Ice Trail – new Ice Trail pilot project.
7305 Crowchild Tr. S.W. (11 AM – 10 PM daily)
Over 730 metres of connected track, through North Glenmore park, with an attached skating rink located in the centre. Benches, picnic sites and portable washrooms available on site.
Rink with Refrigerated Ice Surface
- Olympic Plaza – 228 8 Ave. S.E. (10 a. – 9 pm) – this is the only refrigerated outdoor ice surface in the city. Due to this, the rink opens earlier than the other rinks (late November) and closes later (mid March). Washrooms are on site and they now have skate rentals too. Hockey sticks, toboggans, sleds & strollers are not permitted on the ice.
Community Outdoor Rinks
There are more than 35 outdoor hockey arenas and many communities also maintain an outdoor rink. Many communities have two rinks, one with boards (to use with stick and pucks) and one without (for pleasure skating). Some are run through the city’s adopt a rink program (pleasure skating only) and others are run by the communities themselves.
About Adopt-a-rink locations
Adopt-a-Rink locations are subject to change due to volunteer participation.
Adopt-a-Rinks are for pleasure skating only. Hockey equipment and games are not permitted on these rinks.They are typically smaller rinks without boards
Outdoor skating rinks in Calgary are (obviously) weather dependent, but typically open in mid-December and continue through February. Helmets are recommended particularly for kids.
About Community Run Rinks
Community run rinks are volunteer run by the community that they are located in. They are free to use but if you would like to support the outdoor rink you can buy a membership for that community even if you don’t live there. Many communities are also looking for volunteers to help set up and maintain the rinks – it’s a great way to give back.
Some features such as indoor changing rooms may not be accessible at all times or to non-community members. Please check ahead before you go.
Community Rinks List
Please help me keep this list as accurate as possible!
Due to the nature of outdoor rinks, rinks may change or come and go from year to year.
Please let me know of an outdoor rink that no longer exists or one that is missing from this list. If you had any additional information to add about the rinks listed please share that as well.
North West Rinks
- Banff Trail – 24 Cathedral Rd. N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Beddington Heights Outdoor Skating Rink – 375 Bermuda Drive NW – rink with no boards
- Bowness Community Association outdoor rink – 7904 43 Ave NW
- Brentwood – 5107 33 Street NW
- Cambrian Heights – 600 Northmount Dr. N.W. – Rink has lights, no boards.
- Cambrian Heights – 600 Northmount Dr. N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Charleswood – 4316 Charleswood Dr. N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Crescent Heights Community Association outdoor rink – 1101 2 St NW
- Edgemont Outdoor Rink – 6911 Edgemont Dr NW –
- Evanston – 221 Evanston Drive N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Hamptons Community Association Outdoor Rink -110377 Hamptons Blvd NW – two rinks – zamboni for the hockey rink, pleasure skating rink with no boards.
- Hawkwood – 56 Hawkhill Rd NW – rink with no boards
- Hidden Valley – 10504 Hidden Valley Drive NW,- Hidden Hut Outdoor Rink – two ice surfaces – a pleasure skating only rink that is best for young children and beginner skaters. Second ice surface with boards and nets. Sticks and pucks are allowed aside from during family skate times.
- Highland Park – 3710 1 St NW – no boards
- Highwood community association rink – 16 Harlow Ave NW –
- Hillhurst – 1715 Broadview Rd. N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Houndsfield Heights – 1404 21 St. N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Huntington Hills – 130 Huntington Gr. N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Huntington Hills – 7831 Hunterquay Way N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Kincora – 1100 Kincora DR N.W. – very little temporary rink (no boards). – Adopt-a-rink
- Mount Pleasant – 607 30 Ave. N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Nolan Hill – 155 Nolan Hill Dr. N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- North Haven Community association rink – non-permanent, mixed use rink with high boards
- Panorama – 400 Panamount Blvd. N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Ranchlands Community Association outdoor rink – 7713 Ranchview Dr NW – two rinks, one with boards and hockey nets. Benches at both rinks.
- Rocky Ridge Royal Oak Community Association outdoor rink – 9764 Royal Oak Way NW – rink with boards
- Rosedale Outdoor Rink – 901 11 Ave NW – non-permanent, mix use rink with high boards.
- Sage Hill – 235 Sage Valley Drive N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Sandstone – 332 Sandarac Dr NW – hockey rink with boards as well as a pleasure skating rink (two different locations in Sandstone)
- Scenic Acres – 345 Schooner Cv. N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Silver Springs – Haley’s Rink – 5720 Silver Ridge Dr NW – four ice surfaces – There is one large Hockey Rink complete with boards and nets. A Pond Hockey ice surface for 8 – 12 year olds and small Pond Hockey
- Silver Springs – 204 Silver Valley Rd. N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Sunnyside – 5a St. & 3 Ave. N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- St Andrews Heights Community Centre rink– 2504 – 13th Avenue NW – Single sheet, multi use. Low hockey nets – no raised pucks. Skateroom available for rental.
- Tuscany – 62 Tuscany Reserve Gate N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- University Heights – green space between Utah PL NW and Utah Crescent N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Valley Ridge – 170 Valley Meadow Close NW – hockey rink and pleasure skating rink around it. Heated change room
- Varsity – 25 Varsville Place N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Varsity – 4931 Viceroy Dr. N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- West Hillhurst – 616 28 St. N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- West Hillhurst – 2325 Broadview Rd. N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- West Hillhurst – 2132 2 Ave. N.W. – Adopt-a-rink
North East Rinks
- Bridgeland – 917 Centre Ave. N.E. – Adopt-a-rink
- Falconridge Castleridge Community Association outdoor rink – 86 Falshire Dr NE – rink with boards.
- Martindale Community Rink – 500 Martindale Blvd NE – rink with boards and hockey nets. Enclosed change shack with seating area to put on skates and watch others
- Mayland Heights – 320 19 St. N.E. – Adopt-a-rink
- Mayland Heights – 2165 MacKid Cr. N.E. – Adopt-a-rink
- Northern Hills Community Association – NHCA Harvest Ice Rink – 520 Harvest Lake Dr NE. No boards, no pucks allowed.
- Pineridge Community Association outdoor rink – 5 Pinehill Rd NE – no boards, lit at night.
- Rundle Community Association outdoor rink – 2510 50 St NE – rink with boards and lights.
- Winston Heights Mountview Community Association Outdoor Rink – 514 27 Ave NE – Large boarded rink surrounded by a track of ice for pleasure skating. Good parking, benches and well lit.
- Winston Heights – 3225 6 St. N.E. – Adopt-a-rink
- Winston Heights – 9 Marsden Rd. N.E. – Adopt-a-rink
South West Rinks
- Altadore – 1908 47 Ave. S.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Aspen – 60 Aspen Hills Drive SW – Adopt-a-rink
- Beltline – 707 13 Ave. S.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Britannia – 925 Crescent Blvd. S.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Canyon Meadows – 848 Cantabrian Dr SW – two with boards and a more “pond” style one outside the community association/canyon meadows school. lots of lighting and is on top of a nice big toboggan hill. Three playground structures in sight, and concession/change room open weekends
- Cedarbrae – 475 Cedarille Cr. S.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Chinook Park – 91 Colleen Cr. S.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Coach Hill – 6840 Coach Hill Road S.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Discovery Ridge – 3 Discovery Ridge Gate S.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Eagle Ridge – 39 Eagle Ridge Pl. S.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Elbow Park – 3820 13A St. S.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Elboya Heights Community Association Rink – 416 Park Ave SW –
- Evergreen – 1150 Everidge Dr. S.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Garrison Green – 2640 Dallaire Ave SW – Adopt-a-rink
- Garrison Woods – 4220 Passchendaele Rd. S.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Glamorgan community centre rink – 4207 41 Ave SW – Rink with boards. Glamshack that’s heated with a concession and room to put on skates.
- Glendale community association rink – 2405 Glenmount Dr SW – rink with boards set up for hockey, ice around the rink for pleasure skating
- Glenbrook – 4725 Graham Dr. S.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Haysboro Community Rinks – 1108 87 Ave SW – two rinks with boards, pleasure skating rink without boards.
- Killarney – 2828 28 St SW – small rink near the community centre. Perfect for little ones learning
- Lakeview Community Association outdoor rinks – 6110 34 St SW – Hockey rink with boards and adjacent rink with no boards. Ice Shack – comfortable shelter for those using the outdoor rinks
- Mayfair – 160 Malibou Rd. S.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Meadowlark – 623 58 Ave. S.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Millrise Outdoor Rinks – 14808 Millrise Hill SW – leisure rink and zamboni cleared hockey rink
- Oakridge Community Association Outdoor Rink – 9504 Oakfield Dr SW – two outdoor ice surfaces each winter—a shinny rink with boards and lighting, as well as non-hockey pleasure ice surface.
- Rutland Park Ice Rink – 3130 40 Ave SW – rink with boards
- Shaganappi Outdoor Rink – 2516 14 Ave SW – skating loop, hockey rink and a small practise area, fire pitand flood lights.
- Shawnessy Outdoor Rink – 302 Shawinigan Dr SW – Figure-8 shaped pleasure skating rink. Fenced hockey rink .Little undercover building with benches for getting your skates on.
- Signal Hill Outdoor Rinks – 489 Sienna Park Green SW- hockey rink and leisure ice with bathrooms available for public use.
- Silverado – 131 Silverado Blvd. S.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Southview Community Association outdoor rink – 2020 33 St SE – Hockey rink and skating pond
- Springbank Hill – 535 St. Moritz DR S.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Springbank Hill – 3804 Springbank Blvd. S.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Willow Ridge Rink – 680 Acadia Dr SE – rink with boards, smaller pond hockey rink, pleasure skating rink
- Wildwood Community Association Rink – 4411 Spruce Dr SW – hockey rink with boards, pleasuring skating rink and an ice trail around the soccer field. Heated changeroom area with soft walkway. Outdoor fire pit.
- Woodbine – 257 Woodbriar Cir. S.W. – Adopt-a-rink
- Woodcreek Community Centre Rinks – 1991 Woodview Dr SW – One rink open for skating and a hockey rink with lights.
South East Rinks
- Acadia – 8523 Addison Dr. S.E. – Adopt-a-rink
- Applewood Community Association outdoor rink – a full sized ice rink complete with boards
- Chaparral – 135 Chaparral Valley Square S.E. – Adopt-a-rink
- Copperfield Community rink – 6 Copperstone Way SE, Calgary – hockey rink and tot rink
- Deer Ridge Outdoor Rinks – 155 Deermont Way SE – hockey and leisure skate rinks
- Deer Run Community Association Rinks – 2223 146 Ave SE – two leisure skating rinks one with nets that can be used for hockey
- Dover Community Association Rink – 3133 30 Ave SE – mixed use rink with boards
- Fairview – 45 Flavelle Rd. S.E. – Adopt-a-rink
- Maple Ridge – 10828 MapleCrest RD S.E. – Adopt-a-rink
- Ogden – 2324 74 Ave. S.E. – Adopt-a-rink
- Prestwick Common Rink – 15113 Prestwick Blvd SE – no pucks or sticks allowed
- Queensland Community Association Rink – 649 Queensland Dr SE – rink with boards
- Ramsay – 2077 Ramsay St. S.E. – Adopt-a-rink
- Riverbend Community Rinks – 19 Rivervalley Dr SE – two rinks – hockey rink and leisure ice rink
- Walden – 34 Walden Heights S.E. – Adopt-a-rink
- Willow Park – 555 Winterbourne Cres. S.E. – Adopt-a-rink
Map – still in progress
We do our best to ensure the information on Calgary Playground Review is accurate, however information and events are subject to change. Please contact the organizations directly to avoid disappointment.
Can you help make this article better?
If you have noticed an error, have additional information or would like to share a comment you can:
E-mail us at email@example.com
Find us on Facebook: CalgaryPlaygroundReview
Find us on Instagram: YYCdana
Tweet us: YYCdana
We are not affiliated with any venues, attractions or organizations. Please message them directly if you have questions or concerns.